By Tricia Levenseller
“There will be plenty of time for me to beat him soundly once I’ve gotten what I came for.” -Alosa
This is a fantastic easy read for anyone who loves pirates and high seas adventure! I finished this book in less than a few hours. I only put it down a few times to take cooking and eating dinner and then it was right back into the pages again. This book gets a RARE 5 stars from me because I was never tempted to put it down or skim ahead. I also love the characters and the story. This was my owl crate subscription book and it was a hit with me.
What I loved about this book:
- Alosa, the lady pirate who is a lot more than just the daughter of the pirate king.
- Fun plot twist and character revelations. I kind of saw them coming but it was still awesome when they unfolded.
- Alosa runs into a lot of trouble as she tries to track down the hidden map.
- Fun and believable secondary characters.
- The layers of romance between Alosa and Riden. They are both fighting their feelings for each other as their relationship slowly develops.
- The story moved at a nice pace and I did not get bored.
- I love a good pirate story.
- Great first person point of view writing. Strong characters and distinct voices make this a stand out.
What I disliked about this book:
- The entire book was set at sea and mostly on a ship. I would have liked more setting details about the ship. What was presented was woven nicely into the story.
- Riden is still deeply attached to his brother, even though he is a terrible person. Realistically, I get this but I still wanted Alosa to make Draxen to suffer more than she did.
- That the next book is not yet available. I will be eagerly waiting!
Do you have any other great pirate, ocean, or sea themed books you loved reading? I would love your recommendations!