This is my favorite YA contemporary EVER. And yes, I liked it better than EVERYTHING EVERYTHING. This was an audiobook selection and I highly recommend the audio version of this.
What I loved about this book:
* Natasha. This girl is facts, science, and action. She is doing everything she can to avoid being deported. I love how we see another side of her character she falls for Daniel and her backstory is revealed. I feel like Natasha would have been a romantic dreamer if she had not been so heavily influenced by her father’s failures.
*Daniel: This boy is a romantic dreamer who is still trying to be person his family expects. He is so opposite of Natasha that they shouldn’t fall in love but they do. Falling in love with Natasha changes him but it also helps him embrace who he is and let go of some of the things he is planning to do to please his parents.
*The Insight into secondary characters: I love that reading this book you get an inside look at what is going on with the secondary characters that at first glance don’t seem to have much to do with the story. However, all of the stories tie together and so many lives are affected in ways that the main characters don’t see. Daniel’s father doesn’t go as far as to tell Daniel why he has the expectations for Daniel that he does but as the reader we are privy to that information. I can’t help but wonder how their relationship could have changed, if his father had simply shared that with him. I won’t say more about the secondary stories because I don’t want to give away a big spoiler. I will just stay, things come together in the end.
* Diversity: I loved the way you two different people from two different cultures are brought together. I think the cultural portrayals of Daniel, Natasha, and their families are beautifully and realistically done. I found myself pulling for them but at the same time understanding some of the reasons that there parents are against them because of the parents own cultural backstories.
Overall, I adore this book. Yes, it is a bit of an Insta romance, but it works in this novel because it is about how two people with very different outlooks on life can fall in love and are changed by the romance, even if it doesn’t turn out the way they want. It is so much more than a romance because so many people are affected by characters and their choices.
You Should Read this if:
- You are a romantic at heart.
- You enjoy movies and books about seemingly unconnected people being connected. Think Love Actually or other movies that follow multi stories that are loosely related.
- You enjoyed EVERYTHING EVERYTHING. The author’s style flows in both books.
This book gave me a ALL the feels. I laughed, I cried, and for a brief moment I wanted to throw the book at the wall. I was fully invested in these characters and it held my attention from start to finish.