This book was not what I was expecting. It is not the type of book that I usually fall in love with. Yet, It has earned a place in my book love heart, and you may find a place for it in yours – if you are open to reading it and following it to the end.
To boil this story down for you, without spoilers, is no easy feat but I will give it a go. This is the story of a different sort of Circus. A circus without animals but laced with magic. The Circus itself was created as a game board of sorts for two magicians who have been raised and trained to compete in a competition. The end game and the rules are not clear to them or the reader at times. Everyone involved with the circus is an unknowing part of the game, and their lives are affected by it in a magical and sometimes deadly way. The story is full of secrets, performers, magic and a bit of romance.
So first, let’s talk about what this book is not:
- Fast paced
- Action filled
- An easy read
- For everyone
If you can get past the things that this novel is not, you might find yourself emerged in the atmosphere of the mysterious circus. I will admit, I did have some issues falling in love with this book. At the same time, I was unable to abandon the book. The bits and pieces of the story came together for me at the end and left me satisfied.
What I loved:
- The idea of the story and how it came together at the end.
- The use of colors. I always love it when writers use colors to enhance their story. I don’t know why I just do.
- The way the author used detailed descriptions to enhance the atmosphere of the story.
- Trying to figure out how all the pieces of the story fit.
- It has a few delightful characters.
- I enjoyed that some portions of the book are written in 2nd person, although I had trouble understanding why that view was used until the end of the book.
Who should read this book:
- Those open to the 3rd person omnipresent and 2nd person point of view narrations.
- If you can deal with lots of description, narration and slow moving pace.
- If you are unsure about reading it, take a chance. I did, and I enjoyed it.
- Magic lovers
I listened to this book on audiobook. The narrator ‘s voice fits the feel of the book perfectly, but I found it so soothing that I almost fell asleep a few times. I had to increase the narration speed a few times to finish the book with out napping.
Overall, this book is one that will stick with me. It is not a book for everyone and certainly not my typical read, but I am giving it 5 stars because it managed to make all of the plot pieces that are scattered about fit together. The book provoked some deep thoughts and left me with warm feelings and the urge to eat caramel covered things.
So, tell me have you read this book? What did you think?