Book Love Review
This book fills a void in my life I didn’t even know I had! Brightly Burning weaves together so many surprising elements. This space-themed retelling of Jane Eyre that will leave you swooning, smiling and surprised.
Meet Stella. When she gets the chance to move from her position on a dying spaceship to be a governess aboard a private ship she jumps on it. Before she knows it she is falling for the mysterious captain and finds herself knee-deep in mystery.
WHAT I LOVED
- There is a lot to Stella. Not only is she a teacher, spaceship mechanic, and governess but she has a lot going on in her personal life.
- I sat down to read this, intending to stop after a few chapters, but I could not put this book down. Just when I thought I had it figured out something delightful would pull me back in.
- I loved Stella’s relationship with the new ships AI system. I found myself smiling at this element of the story.
- I enjoyed seeing the relationship changes between Stella, Jon, her best friend, and Captain Hugo as well as the others onboard both ships. All of the characters in this book are well done and entertaining.
- There is so much to this story. I can’t even begin to dig into all of it without risking a spoiler.
WHO SHOULD READ THIS BOOK
- Lovers of Jane Eyre and romance
- If you love a great retelling this book is for you.
- Fans of Marissa Meyer
- If you are into space-themed books this one is a must. Even if they are not your thing I think you will enjoy this one.
- If you want a book that is more than romance, more than a retelling, more than a mystery, this book is a delightful mash-up you will fall in love with.
This book will be released in 2018. I received an advanced reader copy from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. All opinions and thoughts are my own.
Alexa also has a YouTube channel were she gives excellent writing advice in a no-nonsense manner. I highly recommend all writers check it out.