Fantasy. Romance. Self-discovery set in a fairy tale type realm. If this sounds intriguing you will want to check out Unblemished, by Sara Ella. The story begins in New York with teen Eliyana dealing with her mother’s funeral and the sudden coldness of her longterm friend and love Joshua. Throw in an encounter with the hooded stalker Ky and she finds her kidnapped and tossed into a world full of people with powers. The birthmark covering her face has always been a source of shame but in this new world, it marks her as someone important.
What I Loved:
- The beginning. I was hooked right away by Eliyana, her situation, and her issues with her birthmark and Joshua.
- The last part of the middle and the end. As all the parts of the story and the relationships come together I found myself rooting for Eliyana as she makes hard choices while experiencing love, betrayal, and secrets.
- This book has a full fantasy world. I felt transported along with Eliyana on her adventure as she searches for her mom and discovers her own role.
- The romance. I love a well-written love triangle and this book delivers it.
- Lots of twists! This book kept me guessing to the very end.
What I did not love:
- For a complicated fantasy world with a complex storyline, this is well done but there were a few spots in the book where I struggled to make sense of it all.
- This book has a lot of great characters but I felt that there were too many to keep track of. That is just a personal preference on my part/
Who should read this book:
- If you enjoy books with a fairytale world you will find delight in the details of this book.
- If you love books with strong female characters who start out with self-worth issues you will love Eliyana’s transformation as she learns to see her self differently.
- Fans of love triangles will enjoy the romance element of this story. I must say that I rooted for Ky from the moment El met him.
- If you love books with complex twists and turns.
- If you enjoy books that start contemporary setting and transition into a fantasy realm you will love this one.
I am so glad I finally read this book! I found Sara Ella on Facebook and was impressed with her videos, posts, and online presence. I knew I wanted to read her books. I am excited that while reading this book I was approved for my request for an advanced reader copy of the third book in this series. Gotta finish the second book which I already have on my kindle.
Have you read any of her books? What did you love most? I would love to know.